Agribusiness Valuation and Consultancy
The Avison Young Latin American Agribusiness team consists of experienced professionals that have a combined experience of over 40 years working in the real estate and agriculture sectors.
The team has worked in 17 countries in Latin America. We provide independent objective valuations, advisory and transaction services for agribusiness and real estate lenders and owners and investors using our specialist expertise in land, agribusiness and natural resources to deliver detailed and specialist reports.
All valuations at Avison Young are performed according to internationally recognized valuation standards as determined by The Appraisal Institute (USPAP) and the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (Red Book). Valuations are also performed to comply with International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and for local regulatory purposes such as tax and land transfer valuations. Our services range from single asset valuations to multi property portfolios. We also provide advisory and transaction brokerage services to Agribusiness clients.
We help our clients determine the market value of all business related to agricultural production and evaluate all risks related to each project. Our clients include Private and Institutional Funds, Banks, Governments, Private Companies & Producers and Individuals.
Our team has recently valued and consulted on a variety of agricultural projects including: Agricultural Land; Pecan Nut Plantations; Pig Farms; Avocado Plantations; Peppers and Tomatoes grown in Hydroponic Greenhouses; African Oil Palm Plantations and Table Grape Plantations.
We can also value and advise on machinery & equipment values, aquaculture, dairy, forestry, ranches, poultry, water entitlements, wineries and renewable energy.
Brokerage (Transaction Services), Private Equity & Debt Sourcing and General Consultancy like due diligence and market research.
Frequently asked questions
Why would I need a valuation?
Our valuation reports are used by our clients for the following purposes:
- Banks and financial institutions use our reports to decide how much to lend to borrowers who are looking to purchase or re finance an asset or increase their production levels by expanding their agricultural projects
- By any Ag Producer or Landowner who wants to know the realistic value of their asset at today’s date (for internal decision making purposes)
- For tax or inheritance or divorce purposes
- By any owner for sale purposes
- By any investor for acquisition purposes
What benefits can a valuation offer me?
- A valuation can give you peace of mind in knowing the true and realistic value of your asset at today’s date for financial planning purposes
- A valuation from an experienced and independent valuer who signs the report on behalf of a reputable firm can help you sell your asset or purchase an asset and speed up the transaction process
- Reduce your property tax
- Insurance companies often require an insurable value to support the replacement cost for an asset
What other consultancy services does Avison Young provide?
- Brokerage (Transaction Services)
- Private Equity & Debt Sourcing
- General Consultancy like due diligence and market research
In which countries do you offer your valuation and advisory services?
We offer our services throughout Latin America and the Caribbean.
What is the process for a valuation and how long does it take?
To carry out a valuation report we first of all send a full written proposal in English or Spanish to the client which outlines all the important aspects of the work such as how long the work will take, what the process is, what the Scope of Work will be for our report, what methods of valuation we will use, who our report will be addressed to, the fee and which language our report will be written in.
Once the proposal has been agreed and signed by the client and Avison Young the client sends us all the information about the property and the project we require in order to carry out our work. The type of information we request depends on whether the asset is land, a plantation, whether or not the project has building and fixed machinery.
After we have reviewed the information we inspect the property and its surroundings. We then finish off our valuation and Draft report before presenting our report and valuation to the client to review before we send our final report.
A typical valuation takes between 3 to 4 weeks to complete from the date we receive the signed proposal or contract back from the client. This is the amount of time it takes for the client to supply us with the information we need for us to visit the property, carry out the valuation and write our report. This timing can increase to up to 6 weeks if we are valuing multiple properties.